Monday, February 28, 2011

picture of the week

So about once a week, Allison, Amanda, and I all walk to Carrefour. Which is basically the Walmart of Spain. It is a couple miles away but it gives us something to do in the afternoons after we get home from school until dinner at 20:30. They have everything that you can think of, just like Walmart. Food, candy, alcohol, clothes, movies, books, etc. But they also have something that I know for a fact that Walmart doesn't have, and that is: AN AISLE OF MEAT. Ham. Pig legs. Mountains of them. Hanging on the walls---its even made into an archway. Not in a refrigerated section... Just a regular aisle in between the bread and cheese aisle. And let me tell you, this is not a nice smell. Some of them have mold growing on the outside. I'm not really even sure how the whole ham thing works here...do you peel the outside off and THEN put it in the fridge? Does it ever go in the fridge? Some bars have it just....sitting there kind of like a roteisserie-but not under any sort of heat....It just sits on display and then I guess when someone wants it they slice some off. The whole thing kind of disturbs me. BUT everyone here really loves it, Marieta has even said that it is a delicacy and it can be quite pricey. All I know is that it is awful. 




First we find the whole aisle of oil. 
Then the aisle of unrefrigerated milk.
Now this.
What will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment