Occurred: February 13, 2011
Written: Today
So today (feb 13th) we went to the Alhambra. The Alhambra literally means "the red one" in Arabic, which unfortunately I have no idea how that is related to the Alhambra, but why not learn some Arabic today. The Alhambra is a palace and a fortress complex that was constructed during the middle of the 14th century by the Moorish rulers. It is now one of Spain's most visited tourist attractions and was even a runner-up to become one of the seven wonders of the world.
Just did some research on google: the Alhambra was given that name because it was constructed of red bricks.. makes sense, however I could not make that connection because they do not appear red to me. Also, the Alhambra is important because it was the last stronghold of the Moors in Spain before they were expelled from Spain by King Ferdinand II and Queen Isabella I.
The Alhambra was built between 1238 and 1354.
The architectural details in the Alhambra are completely indescribable! They are amazing. I was obsessed with all of it and took about 300 pictures. So I tried to pick out the best ones! Seriously though, my pictures I must admit are pretty fantastic but nothing to how it is in person.
we had one-eared headpieces to listen to what the tour guide said...to bad we did not have a notebook because now all that information is lost.
this is actually the background of my computer. love it.
this was the ceiling in the king's room, that I do remember. not sure if you can tell but the ceiling was kind of tiered. SO much detail.
this was part of the garden in the summer home. why are we able to see the palace and summer home all in the same afternoon? ...good question
here is the view from the summer home. Alhambra are the brown buildings on the left.
lets just say that all the pictures from here down are from the summer home.
love this picture.
amanda, becca, me, lisa, dina, lindsey











No comments:
Post a Comment