Tuesday, February 8, 2011

doctor.

so i came back from ireland sick :( 
but now i can tell you how the doctors operate here! yayyy


So I made an appointment and went to the doctor's office. The receptionist checked me in when I got there and told me "siete," so I went into a little waiting room outside of room number siete. Each door had a different number and all had their own little waiting room, and each door had different purposes. One was general medicine and one was diagnostics..and I have no idea what the other ones were but they were different. This room was the doctors office and the exam room. So as soon as a person leaves, he would immediately call in another person (this I liked because you know what exactly the doctor is doing and not dilly-dallying around the office, and how annoying is it when you tell the nurse what is wrong with you when the doctor comes in and asks the same questions?!) but anyways....my name was called and I went in and we first sat at his desk and he asked me what was wrong..and I told him...my throat hurts when i swallow, I have the chills, and I am really tired lately. He asks "do you have a fever?" I say...kind of. (this is all in spanish by the way, because he did not speak english). He then leads me to the exam table where he looks at my throat...popsicle stick, light, the norm. I asked if it was bad and he said yes. And then he checks my lungs to make sure I am breathing okay. Exam is over. No taking of my temperature, looking at my ears, no cotton swab of the throat, nothing... We sit back at his desk. He writes me four prescriptions. Antibiotics for 7 days, 600mg tablets of ibuprofen, an anti inflammatory, and something for ulcers. I then asked him what I have, and he said something about how i have a sore throat and a fever. And thinking that I did not understand him quite correctly, I ask him to write down what I have so that I can look it up later. And he said, no you have a sore throat and a fever. Sooooo... then my doctors visit was over. I paid 50 euros and took my prescription to the pharmacy, which in total for the four medicines costed me 25 euros. Thankfully with the program that I am in though Illinois State and the University here, I have insurance so I will get refunded for all of that. 


Also, when I went to get my prescriptions filled, I got the written prescription from the doctor back. No writing on it, not stamped. How do they know if I have gotten it filled or not? Weird to anyone else? Or how bout any suggestions as to what could actually be wrong with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment